Il La Loma Cemetery o Campo Santo di La Loma è il più antico cimitero di Manila con un milione di sepolture. Il Cimitero ospita, anche, il Mausoleo dei Veterani della Rivoluzione , in memoria dei caduti per la libertà del Paese durante la rivoluzione filippina. In questo luogo è sepolta anche Marcela Agoncillo, la Madre della bandiera filippina, la prima donna a cucire la bandiera nazionale filippina nel 1897.
The La Loma Cemetery or Campo Santo de La Loma is the oldest cemetery in the Philippines with an area of slightly less than 54 hectares. It is located in northernmost district of Sta. Cruz Manila and on the city boundary with Caloocan. It was opened in 1884 and was known as Cementerio de Binondo back then where it was exclusively used as burial ground for Catholics during the Spanish colonial period.
Campo Santo de La Loma is one of the few sites that escaped ruin during the 1945 Battle of Manila where most of the city’s collection of architecture was destroyed. That leaves it as a crucial piece of the country’s historical heritage of architecture.
In the middle of Manila’s oldest cemetery there is a century old beautiful Chapel dedicated to St. Pancratius, an old structure that survived wars, typhoons, earthquakes and other calamities, and one that stood the test of time. It served as the funerary chapel of the cemetery since its opening in 1884 up to 1962 when the church services were transferred to the newly built St. Pancratius Church near the cemetery’s entrance; used as a fort by Filipino fighters during the Philippine- American War of 1899 to 1902; became a cursillo retreat house in the 70’s to 90’s; currently padlocked, abandoned and referred as “Lumang Simbahan“.
Today, the cemetery is one of the most beautiful and oldest in the Philippines. It is currently owned and managed by the City Government of Manila, and a resting ground to some of the country’s prominent personalities and heroes.
It’s more fun in the Philippines.